SR22 Insurance

An SR-22 is a certificate from a state licensed insurance company, an eligible surplus lines insurer, or a risk retention group . The insurer certifies on the SR-22 that you have purchased liability insurance that meets the minimum required limits of coverage for that state, and files the certificate with appropriate state Agency.An SR-22 is proof of “future responsibility” and is posted to your driving record.

Most states require an SR-22 certificate be on file with DMV if:

  • You failed to provide proof to DMV that you have liability insurance
  • You’ve been convicted of driving without insurance
  • You’ve been involved in an uninsured accident
  • You are applying for a hardship or probationary permit
  • At the time of reinstating your driving privileges following a DUII suspension

Note: This is not a complete list of reasons why an SR-22 filing would be required.

Possible License Suspension

Most state laws requires you to keep an SR-22 in effect for 3 years from the ending date of a suspension requiring an SR-22 or for 3 years and 33 days from the date of a driving uninsured conviction.

If you are required to prove “future responsibility” by having an SR-22 on file with your State Agency, a copy of your insurance card is not acceptable. An insurance card is required by law to be carried in any vehicle operated on most State highways; an SR-22 certificate is required by law to be filed with the State agency, and is posted to your driving record.

These State agencies monitors compliance of your SR-22 requirement. If you let it lapse for any reason, the insurance company must notify that State agency,and your driving privileges will then be suspended.

If your driving privileges have been suspended because you did not get an SR-22 certificate and you later get insurance, be sure you do not drive until an SR-22 certificate is on file with DMV and your driving privileges have been reinstated. Please note that an SR-22 filing is made on the date it is received by DMV if it is received during regular business hours. An SR-22 filed with DMV must be an original, not a copy.

Out of State Filing of SR-22

You will probably need to file an SR-22 certificate with your home state, if you live out of state. Most states record all suspensions on a national computer system. Most state laws prohibits the governing agency from clearing the national system before all requirements are met, including an SR-22 filing. Most states check the national system prior to, or after issuing you a driver license. Most states will cancel or suspend your driving privileges if you are suspended in another state.

For information on which companies do business in your state you may contact your state insurance commisioner’s office, or your local motor vehicle state agency.

Let A Act One Insurance help you choose a policy that will fit your individual needs. Protecting your assets, whether personal, business, or both, is our goal. A well-chosen policy can lessen the impact of some of life’s most common, yet unforeseen perils. We’re here to help when you are considering SR22 coverage.

If you need car insurance in the Twin Cities and need an SR-­22 certificate, contact Alloy Insurance, we can help! Get a free quote now by using our Quote Form or simply send us your questions here.

Ready to get started?

Get the strongest mix of coverage for your personalized needs—without sacrificing local service. Since we're an Independent Insurance Agency, we aren't limited to one specific brand in our search to find you the right formula. Get the insurance you need, tailored to you.